Are You Wasting Your Gym Membership?
According to Club Industry (the top fitness business resource company) of the over 45 million gym members roughly 67% never even go to the gym. Of the typical $55/month membership fee they report that members are wasting about $39/month from under-utilization. How can you maximize your membership to make sure you get the most bang for your monthly membership buck? Here are a few ideas.
- Group Fitness. Group Fitness has come a long way from the days of “aerobic dance” and now offers something for everyone. From indoor cycling and bootcamp to yoga and pilates, most gyms offer upwards of 50 classes per week included in the cost of your monthly membership.
- Rest and Relax. Think the gym is all about sweat and sore muscles? Think again. Today gyms offer steam rooms, spas, saunas, and pools. Take advantage of these great features after a workout or on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
- Pick-up game anyone? Gyms are now offering sports leagues such as volleyball, racquetball, and basketball. This is a great way to bond with friends or meet new ones.
- Free online tools. Some gyms, such as Snap fitness, offer a free online wellness tool; online nutrition and meal planning site. Take advantage of these free online tracking, wellness, and nutrition tools.
- Personal Training. Some gyms, such as LA Fitness, offer a free personal training session to all members. This is a great way to learn the equipment and to get a $65 training session for free.
- Daycare. Most gyms offer daycare for a nominal fee ($2-4/hour), which is less than paying a sitter. Who says you have to work out to put the kids in the daycare? You kids can play a few hours while you catch up on a good book in the lobby or relax in the sauna.