For the first time since 2008, a new fitness trend takes the crown for 2014. More than 3,800 fitness professionals completed an American College of Sports Medicine survey to determine growing trends. If you’ve been looking to shake up your fitness routine, consider:
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HITT): HITT involves short bursts of activity followed by short periods of recovery. HITT is a great way to burn tons of calories and lose weight. Check out a HITT workout here.
- Body Weight Training: Who said you needed expensive equipment to get in shape? Use your body for an intense, effective workout. Click here for a body weight workout that focuses on the abdominals.
- Educated and Experienced Fitness Professionals: Given the vast number of organizations offering health and fitness certifications, it’s important to find an instructor or fitness coach that is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Examples include ACE, ACSM, NASM, and NSCA.
- Strength Training. Incorporating strength training is an essential part of a complete physical activity program for all fitness levels and genders. For an easy way to add strength training into your routine, try one of our workout videos (created by an ACE-certified professional).
- Exercise and Weight Loss: Exercise and nutrition go hand in hand when you want to lose weight. Health professionals who provide weight loss and exercise together are better able to help their clients lose weight.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be an exhaustive examination of the subject matter nor a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your primary care physician or healthcare provider before beginning any diet or exercise program.